Is There Really a Pet-Friendly Ice Melt?

Winter is right around the corner, and you know what that means: heavy snow, slippery ice, and bone-chilling temperatures. Before winter brings its fury, you'll want to invest in snow and ice melt. But with so many options available, how do you know what’s best for your property? More importantly, what's safe for your pet?

If you've been googling things like, “what can I use to melt ice without hurting my dog's paws,” you know that finding pet-safe ice melt is not an easy task. Go to any pet store or department store, and you’ll be bombarded with a ton of “eco-friendly” and “pet-safe” options. But those products aren’t always as safe as they claim to be. 

Don’t get distracted by cute labels or tricked by cheap prices. If you want to keep your pet safe, the best thing you can do is educate yourself. Here are a few things you should know about rock salt and ice melt before you spend your hard-earned money. 

What does it mean for ice melt to be "pet-friendly"?

For any product to be considered "pet-friendly," it should not contain any harmful chemicals. So a pet-friendly ice melt is one that uses non-toxic ingredients to break surface tension and generate heat to melt the snow and ice. But buyers, beware: some companies use sneaky marketing tactics to appeal to pet owners even if the product isn’t completely safe.

If you’re looking for an ice melt that’s safe for animals, take a closer look at the ingredients on the label. Do you see calcium chloride or sodium chloride (rock salt)? Chemicals like these can are particularly harmful to pets, and here’s why:

Some products can irritate your pet’s paws. (We’re looking at you, rock salt.)

Sure, rock salt may be the cheapest way to melt ice, but it’s also the most dangerous for your pet. Rock salt can get lodged in your pet’s paws. The rock salt will generate heat as it dissolves, irritating your pet's poor paws.  Your pet will likely ingest these toxic pellets after licking their paws to get rid of the pellets. And that’s simply not good.

If ingested, your pet could get sick.

Eating too much rock salt can lead to gastrointestinal discomfort. They could even start vomit or have a seizure! This is why it is extremely important to pick the right product. Do you believe your pet has ingested too much rock salt? Contact your local veterinarian or Poison Control Center as soon as possible.

The best way to keep your pet from getting sick from rock salt is by keeping them far away from it! If someone has spread rock salt around your property, don't let your pet in that area. Keep an eye on them while they are outside, and wipe off their paws as soon as they get inside.

If you want to protect your pet, this is your best bet.

Green Gobbler carries pet-safe ice melt that will not irritate your pet’s paws or cause harm if swallowed. It is also safe on plants and concrete.

Finding a pet-safe ice melt can be tough, we know. But don’t give up too easily. We hope you now have the information you need to keep your pet safe this winter.